1. What is the innovation?
BioGill technology brings together the power of science and nature to make treating wastewater onsite, simple and easy. We are a biotechnology company manufacturing attached growth, above ground bioreactors that deliver affordable and highly effective wastewater treatment solutions.
2. What benefits does the innovation bring?
Managing wastewater shouldn’t be costly or complex. BioGill bioreactors are designed to be quick to install, simple to operate and easy to maintain. Customers do not need to be wastewater experts to run our systems. At BioGill our goal is to deliver affordable, wastewater treatment solutions, made easy!
3. What commercial success and/or benefit to society it achieved?
As water authorities around the world enforce stricter regulations, increase surcharge rates and discharge fees, more breweries and wineries are seeking onsite treatment solutions. BioGill technology is particularly effective in reducing the soluble organics found at high levels in brewery and winery wastewater. Using our technology, craft brewers and wine-makers can benefit from significant savings in wastewater discharge or disposal costs, along with improved environmental operations.
BioGill bioreactors are also the perfect technology to supplement under-performing systems or as a complete substitute for the biological stage in a decentralized sewage treatment plant. Our technology can easily increase the efficiency and durability of a sewage treatment process, at low cost and low energy, and is ideal for treating sewage from residential and commercial buildings, restaurant centres, resorts and small communities.
4. What lessons learnt can you share?
- Ensure you have the right people on your team. The culture and pace of a start-up business does not suit everyone!
- Start small and build your reference and beach head projects.
- It will take longer than you think. Delays are inevitable.
5. How many new jobs has this innovation created?