1. What is the innovation?
Ramsey Coote is an evidenced-based, practitioner assisted bell and pad behavioural conditioning treatment to help children, over the age of 5, become dry at night with a 76% success rate, within 6-8 weeks.
Purchased the business nearly 10 years ago and it needed to develop process and evidence to support its anecdotal use. It was loved by the customers who use it, due to its effectiveness.
2. What benefits does the innovation bring?
- It is successful regardless of age, gender, or practitioner in 76% of children so helps with their self-esteem and life so they can go to sleepovers, school camps etc.
- It is reliable to use for children to use while they become dry at night over 6-8 weeks or longer if needed, as it is a sturdy product.
It can be reused over many years so is sustainable with a cleaning validation and protocol.
- Can be used by a variety of practitioners EG., in a community health, outpatient treatment in hospitals, general practitioners, paediatricians, psychologists and nurse practitioners.
- Service information and support provided by Ramsey Coote Instruments who manufacture the products in Australia.
3. What commercial success and/or benefit to society has it achieved?
It is the leading practitioner assisted treatment in Australia and New Zealand. Other practitioners have started to purchase the bell and pad system in USA, Ireland and UK.
The research published in February Journal of Pediatrics has provided the evidence to support its use as there were over 2800 results analysed in this multicenter research audit.
4. What lessons learnt can you share?
Maintain a strategic approach and focus on what you can do, and limit that when you have minimal resource. It took nearly 5 years for the research to be completed and published. Do what you do as well as you can. It always takes longer than you expect.
5. How many new jobs has this innovation created?
There is additional staff but they are part-time and casual. So one extra at this stage.